Been cooking a lot at home lately and you would have probably noticed some Home Cooked Food posted on my Instagram. The Japanese カレーライス (KareRaisu) or Curry Rice is my favourite home cooked meal to date. It is so easy to make and tasted so delicious. Best of all, it goes well with ANY MEAT and VEGGIES! Since you can have both meat and veggies all in a pot, it’s like fixing a balanced meal on its own. So much win. Yay \o/
Japanese Curry Rice posted on Instagram
The ONE ingredient you must have in order to succesfully whip out this Japanese Curry Rice is none other than the JAPANESE CURRY MIX. You can get them from any supermarket and also can get it from Daiso for RM5 only. Of course the ones you buy from supermarket are more expensive BUT there are more selections to choose from. The one I’m sharing today is House Vermont Curry Sauce Mix with a touch of Apple and Honey. This curry mix can make up to 12 servings in a pack!
Ingredients for Japanese Curry
Pork, Cabbage, Potatoes, Carrots, Onions, Garlic & House Vermont Curry Sauce Mix
Then, comes the other ingredients to go with the curry. Well, with or without meat is really up to you. Even without meat, it is great just with potatoes, carrots, onions and cabbage. Again, any type of vegetables is also up to you. I’ve added peas before and it turned out great as well.
What I’m sharing today is the very basic way to prepare Japanese Curry and as for the ingredients, it’s really flexible. Just play with the ingredients. You can even add in celery, peas, cauliflower, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, sweet corns, and all the vegetables you can name. Some even added tofu which is fine as well, but only add them when the curry is almost ready. You don’t want to overcooked them.
- 1 Box House Vermont Curry Sauce Mix (makes 12 servings)
- 500 g Meat (Beef or Pork or Chicken)
- 4 Medium Onions
- 1 Head of Garlic
- 4 Medium Potatoes
- 1 Medium Carrot
- Half a Cabbage
- Cut meat, onions, potatoes and carrot into cubes at bite size.
- Saute the ingredients in a saucepan until lightly brown.
- Add 1400ml of water (equivalent to 5-3/4 cups) and bring to boil.
- Cook the ingredients over low to medium heat for approximately 20 minutes or until tender.
- While waiting for the ingredients to cook, break curry sauce mix into pieces into a small bowl and mix with the hot water from the saucepan.
- Once the sauce has melted, add into the saucepan.
- Cook over low heat for another 20 minutes or until curry thickens.
- Serve over rice or pastas.
–**When using half packet of the curry mix, the ingredients are half of the above.
Like my Facebook Page *click* for more pictures. All pictures are taken with Samsung Galaxy S4.