“The soul of clean eating is consuming food in its most natural state, or as close to it as possible. It is not a diet; it’s a lifestyle approach to food and its preparation, leading to an improved life – one meal at a time.”
17.05.2014 – It has come to the seventh day of the eat clean challenge, which also means this is last of Week 1! Woohoo.. Since Day 7 is on a Saturday, I had more time to prep the dishes unlike the previous few days. Plus, it was a sunny bright day and the lighting for food-photography was perfect!
#Day 7 Eat Clean Breakfast: Poached Eggs on Steamed French Beans
First attempt in making poached eggs served on steamed French beans, drizzled with olive oil, salt & pepper and served with on vine tomatoes. A quick and simple breakfast but quite a feast to the eyes. Can’t believe it looked so good on the plate!
POACHED EGGS ON STEAMED FRENCH BEANS
1 bunch of steamed french beans (you’ll save ⅓ steamed, for another day’s lunch)
2 large eggs, in room temperature
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons olive oil
¼ teaspoon salt
freshly ground pepper
tomatoes of your choice (1 large tomato/cherry tomatoes, on-vine tomatoes) **optional**
- Steam the french beans using rice cooker (saves a lot of time!). Add an inch of water into the rice cooker. Place the steamer rack into the rice cooker with french beans on a plate or use the rice cooker steam rack (some rice cooker comes with this steamer rack.). Steam the beans for approximately 2 minutes or until cooked thorough but still slightly crunchy. Transfer to a place and set aside.
- Boil a pot of water (preferably 5 inches of water). Add one teaspoon of vinegar (this helps keep the egg whites together), bring the water to a simmer, then turn the heat to low.
- Crack an egg into a separate small bowl.When there are tiny little bubbles all over the bottom and sides of the pot, but none bubbling up to the surface, stir the water in a circle gently to create a whirlpool. Drop 1 egg into the center of the whirlpool. The egg white will wrap around the yolk and start to set. Let the egg poach in the water for 3 minutes, keeping the temperature steady.
- Remove the egg and drain on a paper towel-lined egg. Do the same with the other egg.
- To serve, place the poached eggs on top of the warm french beans and fresh tomatoes at the side. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
#Day 7 Eat Clean Lunch: The Salad of Interestingness
This salad contains 2 tomatoes, 5 leaves of Romaine, 2 basil leaves, 2 mint leaves, half an onion, juice of half lemon, 1 teaspoon of Apple cider, 1 teaspoon of olive oil, a pinch of salt & pepper. And not forgetting a few dash of mustard & Laughing Cow belcube cheese to make it more interesting.
I shall name it The Salad of Interestingness. It’s so easy to make, just combine all the ingredients and give it a good toss!
My eat clean for the first week ended at lunch as dinner was prepared by both my landlord and landlady 😀 It’s a norm on weekends and holidays for them to whip up something yummy from the kitchen. So blessed to stay with them ^3^
The original recipes for Day 7 can be found here.