12.05.2014 – Woke up at 5.30 am to prep for Day 2’s lunch as the night before I fell asleep early after all the food my landlord and landlady prepared. #foodcoma Wanna climb back to sleep but it’s almost time for my actual time to wake up. Huhu..
#Day 2 Eat Clean Breakfast: Overnight Oatmeal with Blueberries
SLIGHTLY different from the original recipe as I omitted a lot of ingredients like Greek yogurt, honey, Chia seeds, and replaced the almond milk to low fat milk. Hehe..
OVERNIGHT OATS WITH BLUEBERRIES
Makes 1 serving
1/2 cup rolled oats (I’m using Quaker quick cook oats)
1/2 cup low fat milk
1/2 handful of blueberries
Mix all ingredients until thoroughly combined. Store in an airtight container and refrigerate for at least 6 hours and up to 24 hours.
#Day 4 Eat Clean Lunch: Roasted Chicken with Orange Vinaigrette
This was supposedly for dinner on Day 1 but because I didn’t like the initial lunch menu which is Kale, Chickpea and Fennel Salad with Orange Vinaigrette. Sounds so Yerks, right? Since dinner on Day 1 already tergendala, I might as well have it for lunch on Day 2, replacing the yerky kale chickpea salad 😛
I’m glad I had it for lunch! It was so dem yummy! Will make this again after the 2 weeks. Plus, my version of this menu is way different from the original one and I made it simpler as I used microwave instead of oven (also because there’s no oven at my place) to “roast” the chicken and also due to lack of ingredients. The Orange dressing is so yums and I will never see orange the same way again.
So, instead of having kale and quinoa, I replaced them with Romaine lettuce and leftover pasta. Initially there are 4 parts of cooking in preparation for this dish but because I’m not using Kale and Quinoa, there are only 2: roast chicken and making the orange vinaigrette.
BIG BATCH ROAST CHICKEN BREASTS
Makes 4 servings
2 bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts (about 1 pound)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
freshly ground pepper
- Season chicken breasts with olive oil, salt and pepper. Leave seasoned chicken on the counter and let them come to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- Place chicken on a ceramic plate and cook in microwave using “Chicken” mode. Usually takes about 7 to 10 minutes to cook. [P/s: if you don’t have “chicken” mode on your microwave, you can use normal mode and place a small cup of water beside the plate. This will retain the moisture in the chicken. If you have an oven, preheat oven to 230ºC (450ºF) and roast for about 15-18 minutes.]
- When the chicken is done, let it rest on a cutting board for 15 minutes.
- Remove the skin and bones from the breasts. Cut each breast in half, for four portions. Let the chicken cool completely before refrigerating any leftovers.
BIG BATCH ORANGE VINAIGRETTE
Makes about 1/4 cup
juice of 1/2 orange
1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1/8 teaspoon salt (aka a pinch)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 garlic clove, crushed
- In a small mixing bowl, combine orange juice, apple cider vinegar and salt.
- Slowly drizzle in the olive oil while vigorously whisking the mixture until emulsified (the oil and liquid mix well and not 2 layers).
- Add the whole garlic clove.
The vinaigrette will keep for up to 3 days, refrigerated in an airtight container.
Rest the sliced chicken breast on top of the bed of fresh crispy lettuce. Top it with fresh mint leaves which is finely chopped. Optional to add in pasta, I had mine with a little leftover of fettuccine from the night before. Served with orange vinaigrette at the side and when ready to be eaten, just pour the dressing over and mix well.
#Day 2 Eat Clean: Cherry Tomatoes with Basil and Cheese
This is really easy to make and easy to pack in advance. Again, did I mention how simple and delicious this is to noms before hunger kicks in? *See my instagram lah*
1 large beefsteak tomato (thick slices or wedges) OR 1 handful of cherry tomatoes (cut in halves or quarters)
4 thinly sliced basil leaves
2 belcubes cheese (original recipe uses 1 ounce of shaved feta)
1 teaspoon Orange Vinaigrette
Mix everything into a container, only drizzle the vinaigrette at the time when eating.
#Day 2 Eat Clean Dinner: Lettuce Wraps with Chicken Breast, Tomatoes, Mango and Avocado in Basil-Lime Vinaigrette
I know I know.. I’m having double protein intake in a day. *sulk*
So, I thinking of replacing the Napa Cabbage to the remaining lettuce I have in the fridge. Yet another quick and easy recipe to follow. I can’t wait to try make the vinaigrette! I’m learning to make so many things from this challenge!
Deng. Eat Clean dinner tergendala…again. Lol.. Can’t bear to reject my landlady. She’s so nice T3T
Anyway, the original recipes for Day 2 Eat Clean Challenge can be found here.
#icandoit #just2weeks #eatclean